Dr Devender Singh
email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Preferred Contact Hour: By Appointment
Ph.D (Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana)
M Phil. (University of Rajasthan, Jaipur)
M.A. (University of Rajasthan, Jaipur)
B.A. (University of Rajasthan, Jaipur)
PGDMC (V M University, Tamilnadu)
SPWF; A Certificate Course Social Policy (Oxford University, UK)
Dip in Mech. Engg. (C R Polytechnic, Rohtak, Haryana)
न हि ज्ञानेन सदृशं पवित्रमिह विद्यते।
तत स्वयं योगसंसिद्धः कालेनात्मनि विन्दति । । भगवद्गीता 4/38
Undoubtedly, there is nothing in this world, except knowledge, that purifies us. Knowledge is attained in his own soul by a Yogi engaged in Yogasiddhi for a long time.
For the sake of knowledge, life in all its manifestations is something I’m particularly interested in interpreting. Even if there are many cropped or uncropped clarifications that literature carries, I prefer to further simplify it just to tell people “the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.” When I do this, certain overtly curious folks frequently inquire about my ideological leanings, whether I am inclined to the left or the right wing. Such people get a straight reply from me. “I don’t want to move left or right because the sun-beams can’t illuminate the entire world if they don’t come straight”. I honestly adore my motherland and welcome everyone who approaches me with the idea of nation building. I must say that people should identify me as “Indian first and Indian last.” I love diverse literary cultures of our nation that heal humanity, carry motivations for masses, stand by truth, and instil values in people. I strongly believe that all forms of literature delight, instruct, persuade, transport and sustain us, be it poetry, drama, fiction, painting, performing arts or oral tradition of folk literature. My interest in Indian and other similar classical literatures is just because of the way they handle the debate on relationship between science and spirituality to unveil, carry forward and maintain the ultimate reality.
Literature infuses life into the dead and this characteristic, I firmly believe, is the only perpetually powerful force against all destructive elements. Visuals attract me immensely more than other forms of art. The documentaries and films which I have made for the government of India and otherwise, perhaps, exhibit my research interest in this area. I love teaching and writing with a flavour of my distinct research-based interests in Indian Knowledge System (IKS) and language and linguistics. Deeply rooted philosophy of IKS teaches us about wellness and welfare for all. The ideas of “सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिन” (May all be happy) and “वसुधैव कुटुम्बकं” (The whole world is a family) are the best examples of it. This is how my students and I cultivate our mind, perhaps, to enable us attain right knowledge to recognise and respect the productive power of the Almighty. Knowledge gathered through introspection unmasks the fact that success is the slave of hard work in right direction rather than being the part of material gains.
Areas of Interest/Research:
Indian and other Classical Literatures, Film and Visual Studies, Indian Knowledge System, Language and Linguistics, Translation Studies, English Language Teaching, Literary Theories and Aesthetics, 20th Century British Literature, Dalit Literature.
Popular Fiction, 20th Century British Literature, Classical British Literature, Dalit Literature, Medieval Literature, the Long 18th Century, the Long 20th century, Policy Formulation and Implementation, Socio-economic Transformation
Completed 5 projects including minor, major and mega projects on Aryabhatta, Dr. Ambedkar and The Constitution of India for different agencies, institutions and the Government of India
Administrative and Other Responsibilities:
Director-in-charge CPIO, Pay and Accounts Officer, Financial Advisor, Officers Training Coordinator, Member Selection Committee for Staff and Officials and Staff, in the Government of India.
Liaison Officer, NSS Officer, ELPC Course Coordinator, External Examiner by University of Delhi and IGNOU.
Training Programme for the Government Officials
Conducted 8 training programmes for the officers of Government of India
- For police officers of Haryana Police Academy in June 2019
- For Railways probationers Nasik in December 2019
- For Railways probationers Pune in December 2019
- For Railway probationers Secunderabad in December 2019
- For Nodal officers of Welfare Department of Government of Karnataka in August 2020
- For Nodal officers of Welfare Department of Jharkhand Government in collaboration with the NITI Aayog July-August 2021
- For Nodal officers of Department of Person with Disability of Jharkhand Government in collaboration with WHO, July-August 2021
- For Nodal officers of Department of Person with Disability of Haryana Government in collaboration with WHO July-August 2021
- For Nodal officers of Wefare Department of Haryana Government in collaboration with the NITI Aayog, July-August 2021
Honours, Awards, and Appreciations:
- Appreciation Certificate by the MOS, SJ&E, Government of India for immense contribution in completing 100 crores project of creating country’s first open book-shaped interactive museum of Dr. B R Ambedkar at 26 Alipur Road, Delhi for the Government of India.
- Appreciation Certificate by the Brent Council for writing, acting and directing my movie Anu Abida during its screening in the Brent Council, London.
- Appreciation Certificate by His Excellency Suhail Al Zaruni of UAE (a Collector, Philanthropist and two times Gunnies Book of World Record holder) for my contribution in creating wonderful museums in India and UAE.
- Recipient of Baba Saheb Dr. Ambedkar Ratna Award, 2018
- Recipient of Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Award for making extra ordinary efforts in creating social harmony, 2019.
- Awarded by Kansi TV, London, UK for delivering a live talk on Dr. Ambedkar and His Idea of New India in 2017 and 2018.
- Appointed as Associate Professor and the Director-in-Charge at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India from 2017-2021.
- Member of Selection Committee, JNU, Delhi 2020-21
- Member of the Apex team that successfully set up Dr. Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC) as a think tank for the Government of India from 2017-2021.
- Member of the Apex Review Committee for Officers Training Programme appointed by the Government of Karnataka since 2020 onwards.
- Member of the United Nations Global Compact for India (UNGCI) since August 2019
- Editor in Chief for THE DELHI JOURNAL OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES. ISSN NO-2350-0018 since 2013.
- Member of Advisory Council of Dalit Indian Chamber of Commerce (DICCI) for developing entrepreneurship in the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled tribe Communities in India since 2018.
- Visiting faculty at EDII, Ahemdabad from 2019-2021.
- Invited speaker at university of West London, Dr. Ambedkar Welfare Society, Southall, London and Various Ministries and departments of the government of India.
- Invited faculty at Faculty Development Programs Administrative Training Institutes and Officers Training Institutes of various state and the Centre Government.
- Invited faculty at Faculty Development Programs conducted by different universities and institutions across the country.
- Member of the Experts’ Team for writing a course for Police and Security Personnel at IGNOU Sept. 2010.
- Member of Rajbhasha Panel, University of Delhi, 2012-13.
- Literature on/of Violence published by Sangarsh Publication Delhi. ISBN- 978-93-82928–60-7
- ‘The Journey of Dr. B R Ambedkar: A Pictorial Tribute, ISBN 978-93-85209-96-3. Published by Sangarsh Publication. The Book is approved by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India and Dr. Ambedkar Foundation, New Delhi.
- Dalit Literature: Issues and Perspectives Jan 2017. ISBN 9385022838. A K Publishers, New Delhi.
- National Integration in the Constitution of India published by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India (ISBN 9788194239420), 2021
- Policy for the Pandemic published by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India (ISBN 9788194239413), 2021
- SDG-10: Tackling Inequalities published by Book Age Publication (ISBN 978-93-93904-02-7), 2022.
- Velley 370: पूर्ण विलय की गाथा published by Aryabhatta College, University of Delhi Publication, ISBN- 978-81-958251-0-3, 2022
Research Papers and Articles:
- English Language Teaching: Globalization and Teacher Skills in Sri Prabhu Pratibha, a research journal from Allahabad ISSN 0974-522X, June 2009.
- Assessing Speaking at Basic Level in Parimita Published from Banaras in the issue Oct- Dec 2009. ISSN 0974-6129.
- LOGICAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL PROBLEMS IN SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION: A CASE STUDY ON ADULT HINDI L1ers LEARNING ENGLISH in International online Journal ‘Sangarsh’ in July 2013 issue. ISSN NO 2278-3067
- Psychoanalysis in the Victorian Poetry: A Study of the Poems of Alfred Tennyson and Robert Browning in the peer reviewed International Journal of Indian Psychology, in Volume 6, Issue 2, April-June 2018. ISSN 2348-5396 page-139-147.
- Influence of Indian Philosophy in Depiction of Youth and Age in the Poems of T S Eliot and W B Yeats in the peer reviewed International Journal of Social Impact, in the issue Oct- Dec 2018 Volume 3, Issue 4. ISSN 2455-670X, page-85-88.
- Virtual Classroom: Importance and Challenges in Sodh Sarita UGC Care Listed Journal, ISSN 2348-2397, Volume 8, Issue 29 Pages- 93-97, Jan-March 2021.
- सीमांत राज्य उत्तराखंड मे यातायात व्यवस्था का स्तरातजीक विश्लेषण in Kanpur Philosophers; a UGC Care listed Journal. ISSN 2348-8301, Volume VIII, Issue II, 2021, Pages- 36-40
- Ambedkar Views of New India as an Anthropologist at Par in the UGC Care Listed Journal Bengal Past and Present, ISSN 0005-8807, Vol. 117, Issue: (III) July – September 2021, Pages- 164-167
- A Comparative Study on Octapace Culture of Banking And IT Industry in Trivandrum City, Kerala in Shodhsamhita; A UGC Care Listed offline Journal, ISSN- 2227-7067, Volume- VIII, Issue 12 (III), 2021-2022, Pages- 106-117
- Feminist Act of Defiance in Victorian Poetry: A Comparative Study of Tennyson’s The Lady of Shalott and Christina Rossetti’s Goblin Market in the offline journal Asiatic Society of Mumbai; A UGC Care Listed Journal, ISSN- 0972-0766, Volume- XCV, Issue 28, 2022, Pages- 94-98
- Digital Transformation and Post-pandemic Growth for Small and Medium Enterprises in the offline journal South India Journal of Social Sciences; A UGC Care Listed Journal, ISSN- 0972-8945, Volume- XXI, Issue 14, Jan 2023, Pages- 145-154
- Liberal Communitarian Congruency: Moving Beyond Their Limits in the offline journal Education and Society; A UGC Care Listed Journal, ISSN- 2278- 6864, Volume- 47, Issue 2, April-June 2023, Pages- 51-60
- Many articles and Poems in National Newspapers and Magazines
Conferences, Seminars and Lectures (National and International):
Attended, Paper Presentation, Keynote and Panel Discussion
More than 50 Conferences, seminars and panel discussions both in India and abroad
More than 60 Conferences, seminars and panel discussions so far in India and abroad
National and International Media Presence:
- Delivered live talk on Reading Autobiography live on DD Gyan Darshan-II organized by IGNOU on 12th October, 2011
- Delivered live talk on World Literature in Translation and Theme of Violence live on DD Gyan Darshan-II organized by IGNOU on 11-01-2012.
- Participated as an expert in the live discussion with Dr. Parmod Kumar on WORLD LITERATURES IN TRANSLATION broadcast live on DD- Gyandarshan on August 8, 2012.
- Participated as an expert in the live discussion with Dr Parmod Kumar and Dr. Dina Mani on WORLD LITERATURES IN TRANSLATION broadcast live on DD-Gyandarshan on November18, 2012.
- Conducted interviews of 6 eminent scholars of different universities across the country on Literature and Marginality to be broadcast on DD Bharti and DD-Gyandarshan, February 22, 2013.
- Conducted an interview of Padma Shri Prof. Dinesh Singh; the Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi on ‘Aryabhatta: The Legendary Hero’. The interview was screen played during the Antardhvani 2015, on February 17th, 2015.
- Delivered a live T V programme on Kanshi TV on invitation of Sri Guru Ravidas Global Organisation for Equal Rights, Southall, London, UK on 14 March, 2017.
- Delivered a live T V programme as a panellist organised by Kanshi TV, London, on The Mission of Shri Guru Ravidas and Dr. Ambedkar on invitation of Sri Guru Ravidas Global Organisation for Equal Rights, Southall, London, UK, 16 March, 2017
- Delivered a live T V programme talk organised by Kanshi TV, London, on Dr. Ambedkar as a Global Leader, 17 March, 2017.
- Participated as an expert in a one hour programme on Ambedkar National Memorial aired by FM Gold from DANM campus, 07.10.2018
- One hour programme on Extension of Mann Ki Baat (An Analysis of the MAN KI BAAT by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India) on Dr. Ambedkar on 29.11.2018
- As a Panellist in One Hour Programme on the Constitution of India on DD Urdu11.2018
- Delivered a talk on Ambedkar as the Chief Architect of the Constitution of India on All India Radio on 29.11.2018
- Invite by FM Gold as an Expert for a one hour programme on Extension of Mann Ki Baat (An Analysis of the MAN KI BAAT by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India), 28.11.2019
- Delivered a talk on Ambedkar and his life on All India Radio14th April 2020
- Delivered a live talk as an expert at All India Radio on Press, Media and Freedom of Expression in the Constitution of India on 23.01.2020
- Participated as an expert in a panel discussion on Role of Language and Literature in the 21st Century on FM Gyanvani at IGNOU, New Delhi on 18 January 2022
- Invited as an expert on the Use of Millets by All India Radio for a live programme on G20 on 21 Feb 2023
- Invited as a resource person and expert on B R Ambedkar by Sansad TV, Government of India for a Live Programme on 14 April 2023.